Monday, January 22, 2007

Choosing A Musical Instrument

Well you realize you want to play an instrument but you can't decide which one? First of all, don't rule out playing several kinds once you learn your first one. But you have to start somewhere, and finding the one you'll learn on initially is very important. You'll want to find the instrument you're most comfortable with.

My first instrument I ever owned was a recorder. I was very young and didn't have a clue what to do with it. It ended up in a sock drawer and may still be there as far as I know. Next, I got a set of drums. I banged on them and yelled a bit but never got to the point where I was serious about musical instruments percussion.

In grammar school I bought my first guitar from a nun. Between the discomfort of growing callouses (I never did) and the challenge of my small hands learning to hold down chords, I didn't soon became a guitarist, either. I lacked the determination to get past the pain to learn the musical instrument guitar. That's a common theme I hear from wannabe guitarists who never make it. In high school, a friend suggested I should play bass. Being a laidback guy, bass seemed to fit me well. I hemmed and hawed about why I couldn't do it, but something made me buy one. I've been playing bass ever since, for over 20 years now. And in the past year I got another acoustic guitar and use it for writing. Eventually I'll learn those chords, too.

My buddy Dominic was a great swimmer when he was younger. We joked that he could hold his breath under water as long as a walrus. That lung strength and a strong desire have helped him become the great saxophone player he is today. Dominic went on to learn guitar, piano and flute, too.

My brother Michael started piano lessons young and stuck with it. His long fingers took to the keys easily and his determination guided him to succeed. He eventually became quite a gifted pianist and has bought a guitar to learn it, too. The piano was perfect for him and a great stress reliever while he was growing up. And it gave him the knowledge and confidence to want to learn the gutar as well.

If you're buying an instrument as a gift for a child, then think about their personality. Are they wild and hyperactive and need to bang drums to release their energy? Are they thoughtful and elegant and would take well to flute or piano? Or are they quiet and reserved and a guitar might help them become more gregarious. Whatever instrument they play, the confidence and satisfaction that come from playing music will enlighten them immeasurably.


http://ezinearticles.com/?Choosing-A-Musical-Instrument&id=413517