Tuesday, February 20, 2007

14 Music Quotes for Black History Month

Music plays a big part in the history of America and in the history of African Americans. Music is a way of self-expression and enlightenment for millions of listener's every day.

To celebrate Black History Month, we have compiled a list of some of the most famous and inspirational music quotes from famous artist of our past and present.

Let's take a look at some of the most insightful and powerful words spoken by prominent African American musicians and singers:

1. "The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you." - B.B. King

2. "Strivers achieve what dreamers believe." - Usher

3. "The two big advantages I had at birth were to have been born wise and to have been born in poverty." - Stevie Wonder

4. "I never wanted to be famous. I only wanted to be great." -Ray Charles

5. "Sometimes you struggle so hard to feed your family one way, you forget to feed them the other way, with spiritual nourishment. Everybody needs that." - James Brown

6. "If a song's about something I've experienced or that could've happened to me it's good. But if it's alien to me, I couldn't lend anything to it. Because that's what soul is all about." - Aretha Franklin

7. "I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world." - Tupac

8. "In order to change the world, you have to get your head together first." - Jimi Hendrix

9. "Surely the day will come when color means nothing more than the skin tone, when religion is seen uniquely as a way to speak one's soul; when birth places have the weight of a throw of the dice and all men are born free, when understanding breeds love and brotherhood." - Josephine Baker

10. "It doesn't matter how you travel it, it's the same road. It doesn't get any easier when you get bigger, it gets harder. And it will kill you if you let it." - James Brown

11. "We all have our imperfections. But I'm human and you know, it's important to concentrate on other qualities besides outer beauty." - Beyonce

12. "I'm not in control of these situations and I feel like to be upset or down about something I can't control is just being weak and wasting energy." - 50 Cent

13. "I find the greatest songs in the world come out of pain, and I don't like it! Here's what it does: It strips away all of your facade. It makes you so honest. It's cleansing." - Lionel Richie

14. "I may be helping to bring harmony between people through my music." - Nat King Cole

I hope you've enjoyed these inspiring music quotes.

For more great music quotes, check out the popular music quotes section of Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.